Avoid these foods for your dog

Who can’t resist when Bamse sits down in front of you with big eyes and wagging tail ready to do any pirouette – a little munch from the table wouldn’t hurt, right? he is just so cute!
Or that you run away from the table for 2 seconds, and suddenly Bamse sits there with cream like Santa’s beard and looks at you with satisfaction. That cake may have been sweetened with xylitol. Or the ice cream as in the picture. Now it’s not so much fun for Bamse anymore.

If you don’t pay attention, it can be harmful to Teddy, because some foods can be downright dangerous.

We start with xylitol simply because it is found in so many foods today.

Xylitol is a sweetener used instead of sugar. Found in many dietary health-promoting foods (light foods) for humans, but also in pastries, buns, cakes, candy or toothpaste. This is precisely what makes it dangerous. Chewing gum was most common in the past.

About 0.1 grams per kilogram of dog can cause the dog’s blood sugar to plummet (hypoglycemia).

It’s quick, in about 10 minutes there is trembling, fatigue, apathy.

May cause damage to the liver that is only noticeable after about 8 hours.
Common symptoms are diarrhea, bleeding apathy, vomiting.
Seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.

What to do if this happens?
if you notice that your dog has chewed or eaten something with xylitol, try to make him vomit (throw up) if everything looks good, feed a high-carbohydrate diet, for example use some honey. Seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.
(note that activated carbon does not work here)

Most people know that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains cocoa, which in turn contains the substance theobromine (related to caffeine). It is found in all types of chocolate, the higher the cocoa content the more toxic, for example dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate.
Symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.
It can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures and even death.
Very small doses are toxic. Seek veterinary advice as soon as possible

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and just a small amount can make a dog sick.
Symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea that can then progress to kidney failure.
The dog often shows symptoms within a few hours but kidney damage can appear after 2 days.
Keep this fruit bowl high up and far away from the dog.
If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, try to make it throw up,
( give a tablet of activated charcoal if you have) seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.

Onions & Garlic are directly dangerous whether raw or cooked in large quantities,
there are health benefits to garlic in small amounts, but it’s a foolish gamble.
Destroys red blood cells and can cause anemia,
Symptoms such as nausea vomiting diarrhea & respiratory problems

has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain as it does on humans. But it takes much less to poison your dog. Just a little beer, spirits, wine or food with alcohol can be bad.
It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems.

Coffee, tea
contains caffeine and can be fatal. Keep your dog away from cocoa, chocolate, toffee and energy drinks.
About 15mg /kg body weight starts to become toxic,
a cup of brewed coffee contains about 90mg of caffeine,
1 cup of tea contains about 50mg of caffeine.
Signs of poisoning are hyperactivity, restlessness, excessive urination, thirst, panting, diarrhea.
Do you think your dog has ingested caffeine? go to a vet as soon as possible.

Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems for your dog, but not directly dangerous, simply lactose intolerance.
Yogurt, kefir, and milk are preferable if you want to give your dog dairy products.

The avocado plant has a natural protection called persin, to protect itself in its environment from birds and insects. Dogs and cats are sensitive to the poison and it can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
( Takes up avocado because it has become more common in the counters)
If for some reason you decide to grow avocados at home, keep all pets away from the plants. Persin is found in higher concentrations in leaves, seeds and bark.


What common foods can the dog eat then?

My best tip is carrots 🙂
Fresh carrots are good for your dog’s teeth, and a tasty snack. Carrots are also low in calories, high in fiber and contain vitamins.
Give your dog fresh raw carrots. Note that dogs don’t digest raw carrots very well, it’s ok if you see them coming out just as they went in 🙂
You can also boil them lightly, It’s also not a bad idea to cut the carrots into pieces if you want to.


Cucumber, zucchini, green beans, watermelon, honeydew melon (remove seeds),
apple, berries such as blueberries strawberries blackberries raspberries, as some examples
Yes, there is more that the dog can eat thankfully 🙂 than there is harm.

Want to have something tasty on hand for chewing and dog treats? try for example our dental sticks

or our range of freeze-dried and dried chews and sweets